It can be eaten for breakfast, with berries or drizzled on top of wraps for lunch, served with curries for dinner or made into a tasty frozen yoghurt for dessert!
The taste is tangy, with a subtle sweetness from the vanilla and maple syrup and a mild nuttiness from the cashews. It’s super easy to make and requires no fancy equipment or ingredients…
- 230 g / 1 ½ cups raw cashew nuts, soaked for at least 1 hour in water
- 300 ml / 1 ¼ cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp probiotic powder or contents of approx 2 probiotic capsules, I used Bio-Kult
For frozen yoghurt
- Optional flavourings such as pureed fruit, lemon zest, cocoa powder etc.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashew nuts and add them to a blender.
- Pour the rest of the ingredients into the blender and blend on high for about 5 minutes until the mixture is completely smooth and silky. No lumps should remain.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and cover with a clean towel, tea towel or muslin cloth.
- Keep in a warm place (I used the airing cupboard) for 24-28 hours, depending on how tangy you want it! It will be ready when the mixture looks foamy and is coming away from the sides of the bowls. It will also have a strong but pleasant tangy smell!
- When the yoghurt has fermented. Give it a good stir or mix again in a clean blender if needed. Transfer to a jar or container and keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
To make frozen yoghurt
- If using added flavourings, stir in or blend with the yoghurt until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow freezer safe container and spread it out evenly. Secure the lid and place it in the freezer for an hour.
- After an hour, take the mixture out of the freezer and give it a good stir to break up any icy bits that may have formed and make the mixture nice and creamy.
- Place back in the freezer and allow to freeze completely (for at least another hour or overnight.)
- To serve, take the container out of the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 minute so it softens slightly. Scoop and serve!
Make sure the blender and mixing bowl have both been cleaned in the dishwasher or with warm soapy water and rinsed in hot water to sterilize.
What is your favourite flavour frozen yoghurt? I would like to try this with some raw cocoa powder for some chocolate froyo!