These truffles were an accidental creation when I was attempting to make a raw chocolate easter bunny.
I found that the chocolate mixture was too soft and more of a ganache than a hard chocolate shell that I was going for.
So I rescued the leftover “ganache” realizing it would be great for making truffles!
I love it when a kitchen failure doesn’t result in waste and works out in an unexpected way.
Look at that colour! The turmeric not only adds anti-inflammatory properties to these truffles, but also makes them look amazing too.
- 110 g / ½ cup coconut oil
- 60 g / ½ cup raw cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- 20 g / ¼ cup raw shredded coconut
- 1 - 2 tsp turmeric powder
- Boil a pot of water and place a heat-proof bowl on top of it to create a double boiler. Add the coconut oil to the bowl and let it slowly melt from the heat.
- Once melted, whisk in the cocoa powder, liquid sweetener and salt until it creates a smooth, thick ganache. Place the bowl in the fridge to set for at least an hour. Placing it in the freezer will help it set faster, if you want to move things along.
- To make the coating, simply mix the coconut and 1 tsp turmeric together in a food processor for a few seconds until the coconut is bright yellow. Add more turmeric if you want a stronger colour/taste. Transfer to a bowl.
- When the ganache is set, it should be firm but malleable. Roll about 1 tsp of the mixture into a ball (the coconut oil will melt in your hands very easily so it can get a bit messy!) then dip it into the bowl of coconut and turmeric. Move it around and press the coating onto the truffle until it's fully covered.
- Place onto a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and when you've made all the truffles, let them set in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up before eating.
- These truffles will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 30 Serving Size 1 truffle
Amount Per Serving Calories 54Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 7mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 0g