A ridiculously easy tart, made with roasted mediterranean vegetables, on a bed of hummus, in a puff pastry casing. Makes a delicious Summer meal, picnic snack or packed lunch.
This is one of those recipes that makes me think “Why didn’t I make this sooner??” it’s so simple and SO delicious.
I have a feeling I’ll be making it very often from now on!
Just puff pastry, topped with hummus and roast Mediterranean vegetables makes the most satisfying lunch – delicious served both hot and cold (great for packed lunches).
- Olive oil
- Assortment of vegetables – I used bell peppers, courgette / zucchini, red onion and baby tomatoes. Aubergine / eggplant would also be a great choice.
- Puff pastry sheet – Vegan friendly. Easy to find in most supermarkets. Just avoid the “all butter” kind and check the label to make sure.
I used Jus Rol and made sure it was left out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before unrolling.
- Fresh basil
- Pot of hummus – A 300 g / 10 oz pot of your favourite hummus.
Start by slicing the vegetables into bite-size chunks and roasting in olive oil for approximately 30 minutes.
Allow the puff pastry sheet to soften at room temperature before unrolling.
Use a sharp knife to score a 1-inch border inside the sheet. Score the centre in a criss-cross shape (this will prevent the centre from puffing up too much in the oven.)
Bake the puff pastry, according to the packet’s instructions.
Once the puff pastry is cooked, allow it to cool slightly and load it up with the hummus, spreading it within the pastry border.
Add the cooked vegetables on top.
That’s it! Ready to serve right away or can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 days and eaten cold.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small courgette / zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into wedges
- Approx 10 baby tomatoes, whole or halved
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 sheet of vegan-friendly puff pastry, room temperature
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 x 300 g / 10 oz pot of hummus
- Fresh basil, torn (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220C / 430F.
- Drizzle the oil over the vegetables in a medium roasting tray. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the puff pastry sheet. You can either make one large tart or two smaller ones. To make two, simply slice the sheet in half widthways. You may need to trim it a little to fit onto a baking sheet.
- Score a 3cm border around the sheet and prick the middle with a fork a few times to stop it puffing up too much. Bake for 15-20 minutes (or according to the packet's instructions).
- Once the puff pastry is cooked, remove from the oven and top with the hummus, using as much or as little as you like. Then top with the roast vegetables.
- Scatter over some fresh basil (optional) and enjoy! Delicious served both hot and cold.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 0mgSodium 319mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 8gSugar 3gProtein 9g