This lovely Spring weather we’re having (today, at least) reminds me that Easter is on it’s way. And you know what that means…? CHOCOALTE. Lot’s and lot’s of chocolate. For this reason, I was eager to begin celebrations early and have turned to an old favourite: Chocolate Easter Egg Nests! These ones, however, are a slightly healthier twist on the classic and are raw, vegan and gluten-free.
The other difference is the mini eggs are made from raw marzipan instead of chocolate. My attempt at making the chocolate ones was a bit of a failure, I’m afraid. You can see the pictures here. Yeah, total fail! But I love these marzipan ones which taste delicious and were a LOT easier to make too!
- 100 g coconut oil
- 3 tbsp honey or sweetener of choice
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50 g dessiciated coconut
- 50 g coconut flakes
- 50 g flaked almonds
- Melt the the coconut oil on a low heat and mix with the honey and cocoa powder to form a chocolate sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine the dessicated coconut, coconut flakes and almond flakes. Pour over the chocolate sauce and stir until everything is completely coated. Place the bowl in the fridge for about 5 minutes to let the chocolate cool and the mixture to thicken slightly.
- Divide the mixture into 8 cupcake cases (about 2 tbsp in each case) and then form into a nest shape with the back of a spoon or your thumb.
- Place in the fridge to set for about 30 minutes.
All ingredients are raw and unsweetened. You do not need to be too precise with these measurements, a handful each of the dessicated coconut, coconut flakes and flaked almonds will suffice!
Easter Blog Love:
- Super cute Strawberry-Filled Miffy Cookies by larecetadelafelicidad.com
- Banana Oatmeal Nests by thismamaloves.com
- Beautiful Carrot Cake Truffles by foodfaithfitness.com