A smoothie that tastes just like carrot cake with carrots, walnuts, dates, almond milk and an optional drop of vanilla. No bananas, no sugar and full of goodness!
I know I probably say this every time I make a new smoothie recipe BUT this really IS the best smoothie I’ve ever had!
This smoothie came about after I had a few carrots leftover in the fridge and decided to look for a carrot cake smoothie recipe online.
However, I wasn’t satisfied with any of the recipes already out there and so created my own.
All of the recipes I found had bananas in which:
a) I don’t tolerate well in their raw form and
b) totally transforms the taste of a “carrot cake” flavoured smoothie into something different.
So I decided to create my own with just a few simple ingredients, resulting in a thick, smooth, flavourful smoothie that is made with nothing but a few natural ingredients but tastes just like carrot cake.
Ingredients for a banana-free carrot cake smoothie
- Carrot – Obviously!
- Walnut halves – Preferably soaked overnight so they’re easier to blend and digest. These are a classic carrot cake ingredient and what’s more is that they give a wonderful creamy, thick texture to the smoothie.
- Spices – I use ground cinnamon and ground mixed spice. If you’re outside of the UK, pumpkin pie spice works in place of mixed spice.
- Dates – For natural sweetness. I recommend Mejool but any dates are fine.
- Unsweetened dairy-free milk – Almond or coconut milk are great choices.
- Vanilla extract – Really helps give it that “cake” flavour!
More Banana-free Vegan Smoothies
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 8 walnut halves, preferably soaked overnight
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice, or pumpkin pie spice mix
- 4 dates, chopped and pitted
- 120 ml / ½ cup almond milk or more, if needed
- optional 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Simply blend all ingredients together until smooth, adding more almond milk if needed.
- Pour into 2 glasses and serve straight away!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 127Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 17mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 3gSugar 12gProtein 2g