I know I probably say this every time I make a new smoothie recipe BUT this really IS the best smoothie I’ve ever had!
A smoothie that tastes just like carrot cake with carrots, walnuts, dates, almond milk and an optional drop of vanilla. No bananas, no sugar and full of goodness!
This smoothie came about after I had a few carrots leftover in the fridge and decided to look for a carrot cake smoothie recipe online.
However, I wasn’t satisfied with any of the recipes already out there and so created my own.
All of the recipes I found had bananas in which:
a) I don’t tolerate well in their raw form and
b) totally transforms the taste of a “carrot cake” flavoured smoothie into something different.
So I decided to create my own with just a few simple ingredients, resulting in a thick, smooth, flavourful smoothie that is made with nothing but a few natural ingredients but tastes just like carrot cake.
Ingredients for a banana-free carrot cake smoothie
- Carrot – Obviously!
- Walnut halves – Preferably soaked overnight so they’re easier to blend and digest. These are a classic carrot cake ingredient and what’s more is that they give a wonderful creamy, thick texture to the smoothie.
- Spices – I use ground cinnamon and ground mixed spice. If you’re outside of the UK, pumpkin pie spice works in place of mixed spice.
- Dates – For natural sweetness. I recommend Mejool but any dates are fine.
- Unsweetened dairy-free milk – Almond or coconut milk are great choices.
- Vanilla extract – Really helps give it that “cake” flavour!
More Banana-free Vegan Smoothies
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 8 walnut halves, preferably soaked overnight
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice, or pumpkin pie spice mix
- 4 dates, chopped and pitted
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup almond milk or more, if needed
- optional 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Simply blend all ingredients together until smooth, adding more almond milk if needed.
- Pour into 2 glasses and serve straight away!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 127Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 17mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 3gSugar 12gProtein 2g