A green protein-packed vegan smoothie with spirulina, hemp, mango, apple and ginger. Fresh, zing-y and full of nutritional goodness!
I’ve been on a mission to make a green smoothie that doesn’t taste… well, green.
Believe me, I’m not one to eat something for the nutritional benefits alone. It has to taste good too.
To make it harder on myself, I was determined on using spirulina (as it’s such a fantastic source of protein and nutritional goodness) but it does have a rather strong green taste.
I’ve found the best way to disguise it is to use an even stronger but delicious flavour, such as fresh, raw ginger!
Paired with the sweetness of mango and apples, the ginger adds a delicious “zing” to this smoothie.
Along with the spirulina, this smoothie contains hemp protein powder – just a tablespoon for a protein and fibre boost and some chia seeds, which not only adds protein, fibre and omega 3 but is also a great way to help thicken smoothies.
And a green smoothie wouldn’t be complete without a handful of spinach leaves!
All these ingredients combined, make for one super healthy smoothie. It’s:
- Dairy-free & vegan
- Gluten-free, grain-free & paleo-friendly
- Naturally sweetened with fruit
- 10g plant-based protein per serving
- Over 12g fibre!
- Over 100% the RDA of Vitamin C & Vitamin A
- 50% RDA of calcium
- High in iron
- 320 g / 2 cups chopped frozen mango
- 30 g / 1 cup spinach
- 2 small green apples, chopped (skins on, core removed)
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 heaped tbsp hemp protein
- 1 tsp spirulina powder*
- 360 ml / 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- Add everything to a high-powered blender and mix until smooth. Add some ice cubes if you want to help make it colder and thicker.
- Taste and adjust, if needed. If it's too thick - add more almond milk.
- Pour into two large glasses. This will fill two pint-sized glasses about three-quarters of the way up.
- Serve and enjoy!
*If you're unsure of the taste of spirulina, as it can be quite strong, start with ½ tsp and work your way up. You can add up to a tablespoon!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 112mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 13gSugar 39gProtein 11g