I’ve been on a mission to make a green smoothie that doesn’t taste… well, green. Believe me, I’m not one to eat something for the nutritional benefits alone. It has to taste good too.
To make it harder on myself, I was determined on using spirulina (as it’s such a fantastic source of protein and nutritional goodness) but it does have a rather strong green taste.
I’ve found the best way to disguise it is to use an even stronger but delicious flavour, such as fresh, raw ginger!
Paired with the sweetness of mango and apples, the ginger adds a delicious “zing” to this smoothie.
Along with the spirulina, this smoothie contains hemp protein powder – just a tablespoon for a protein and fibre boost and some chia seeds, which not only adds protein, fibre and omega 3 but is also a great way to help thicken smoothies.
And a green smoothie wouldn’t be complete without a handful of spinach leaves!
All these ingredients combined, make for one super healthy smoothie. It’s:
- Dairy-free & vegan
- Gluten-free, grain-free & paleo-friendly
- Naturally sweetened with fruit
- 10g plant-based protein per serving
- Over 12g fibre!
- Over 100% the RDA of Vitamin C & Vitamin A
- 50% RDA of calcium
- High in iron
- Add everything to a high-powered blender and mix until smooth. Add some ice cubes if you want to help make it colder and thicker.
- Taste and adjust, if needed. If it's too thick - add more almond milk.
- Pour into two large glasses. This will fill two pint-sized glasses about three-quarters of the way up.
- Serve and enjoy!