I have an obsession with roast dinners. They’re not just for Sundays or special occasions in my house, it’s quite a regular meal. And when I do make a roast, I always make more than I need – that way I get to enjoy these bubble and squeak cakes the next day!
They take just 2 minutes to prepare and make a delicious breakfast, brunch or as a side for dinner time.
These cakes are, of course, delicious fried too. I choose to bake them not only because it’s a much healthier option but also it mean I can just bung them in the oven and forget about them for 25 minutes, instead of standing over a pan.
I recommend serving them with veggie sausages and some onion gravy!
- Leftover roast veg (at least half of them should be potatoes - white or sweet)
- (optional) 1 small diced onion
- Preheat oven to 200c. and line a baking tray with paper or foil.
- Tip your leftover veg into a food processor and mix for a few seconds. The mixture should be chunky but should hold together when you shape them into patties.
- Roll them into balls, then flatten them slightly before placing them on the baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with veggie sausages and gravy!