Thank you Monarch for sponsoring this recipe!
February is almost here which means it’s nearly Pancake Day!
Since I have already perfected my vegan pancake recipe, I decided to create a twist, inspired by ‘Tortillas de Carnaval’.
These are small pancakes which are flavoured with cinnamon and lemon then fried. Traditionally, these are served during The Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife on Shrove Tuesday, before the celebrations end on Ash Wednesday.
It seems this has been going on for decades now and these pancakes have become a typical party dish around this time.
These are also inspired by “silver dollar pancakes’ which are essentially smaller sized pancakes too.
So these are the perfect excuse to serve pancakes outside of breakfast. Although, if you do want to serve them for breakfast – go for it!
Perfect little delicious bites for parties and gatherings. Plus, an excuse to add a bit of sunshine and exotic flavour to this cold, grey time of year.
Traditionally, the pancakes are served with some warm honey but I used agave syrup instead.
I also sprinkled on a little powdered sugar and served with lot’s of fruit. Stacking a few of the mini pancakes with some fruit and a cocktail stick is a super fun way to eat them.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 95 g / ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder, or cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 120 ml / ½ cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil + extra for frying
- Agave nectar or maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Drizzle a frying with vegetable oil and put on a medium heat.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients until well combined and the texture is runny but thick.
- Ladle approximately 2 tbsp of the batter onto the dry pan and cook for 10-20 seconds before carefully flipping onto the other side. Cook for another 10-20 seconds.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter. Makes approximately 10 mini pancakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 109Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 1mgSodium 56mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 9gProtein 2g