I was surprised how much I really enjoyed this soup because I wasn’t sure what to expect from the added goji berries. Since it’s not something I’ve tried very often, especially in a savoury dish but I loved it! It made every flavour pop, bringing out the sweetness of the tomatoes and contrasting with the spiciness, giving it a real kick. A totally invigorating, energizing and delicious soup…
Spicy Goji Berry Soup
A sweet, spicy and delicious soup
- 100g (1 cup) dried goji berries
- 230g (1 cup) chopped tomatoes (1 small can)
- 450ml (¾ pint) vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chili, chopped finely
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, torn
- Wash and soak the goji berries for a few minutes to rehydrate them. (I let mine soak overnight for convenience.)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and saute the onion and chili for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes, goji berries and cumin seeds. Stir for another few minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and blend the soup until smooth.
- Decorate with a few fresh coriander leaves, cumin seeds and black pepper. (Optional: swirl in a tsp of yogurt or cream)
Thank you! I don’t like sweets, and I was delighted to find a way to eat goji berries finally. I will try it with dried tomatoes, cumin, turmeric and ginger roots – my favorite flavorings:)
Great, let me know how you get on! I want to make this again soon :-)
Cristina Gomberg says
Having a small funding-raising dinner party with the theme, “Foods You May Not Have Tried.” I will be making this soup for their tasting. I am excited to make a savory, non-sugared dish with gogi berries. Thank you.
Lovely, I’m honoured that my recipe is being used for a worthy cause! Please let me know how it goes :-)
Congratulations! Your dedication to providing healthy recipes to others has gotten our attention. We like your awesomeness and invite you to share your culinary creations on our new recipe index site dedicated to recipes such as these, which help to promote health and longevity. For more information please visit our site: http://www.healthyrecipeverified.com . We also have a growing community of over 1300 members on facebook dedicated to cooking recipes such as these! https://www.facebook.com/healthyrecipeverified