I was surprised how much I really enjoyed this soup because I wasn’t sure what to expect from the added goji berries. Since it’s not something I’ve tried very often, especially in a savoury dish but I loved it! It made every flavour pop, bringing out the sweetness of the tomatoes and contrasting with the spiciness, giving it a real kick. A totally invigorating, energizing and delicious soup…
- 100g (1 cup) dried goji berries
- 230g (1 cup) chopped tomatoes (1 small can)
- 450ml (3/4 pint) vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chili, chopped finely
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, torn
- Wash and soak the goji berries for a few minutes to rehydrate them. (I let mine soak overnight for convenience.)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and saute the onion and chili for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes, goji berries and cumin seeds. Stir for another few minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and blend the soup until smooth.
- Decorate with a few fresh coriander leaves, cumin seeds and black pepper. (Optional: swirl in a tsp of yogurt or cream)