When I first bit into these chocolates, I actually said to myself “are you KIDDING me!??” because I couldn’t believe how delicious they were.
How can dates + coconut oil + salt make this amazingly gooey, indulgent and sweet caramel? It doesn’t seem possible but thankfully it is!
And since Valentines day is coming up, I thought these would make the perfect chocolate treat to give as gifts (or make for yourself.)
You can either use a chocolate mold to create filled chocolates or simply freeze the caramel mixture, roll it into balls and cover it in chocolate.
I used a heart shaped mold which made 10 chocolates but of course, the amount will depend on the size of your mold. The one downside of these chocolates is they do tend to melt quickly so must be kept in the refrigerator.
If you’re giving them as gifts, don’t fear! Simply tell your recipient to refrigerate as soon as possible.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
For the chocolate coating
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
For the caramel filling
- 6 medjool dates, chopped and pitted
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- A pinch of sea salt
If using a chocolate mold
- Make the raw chocolate coating by melting the coconut oil over a pot of hot water. Whisk in the cocoa powder and agave nectar until smooth and runny.
- Add a teaspoon of the chocolate into each mold and use a (clean/new) paintbrush or back of a teaspoon to lift the chocolate up to the sides of the mold. Freeze for 5 minutes and add some more chocolate onto the sides, if needed.
- Next make the caramel filling by mixing together the dates, coconut oil and salt in a high-powered blender or food processor. The mixture should be thick and smooth.
- Add a teaspoon of the caramel into each mold and cover with the remaining chocolate. Freeze again for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the chocolates from the mold and enjoy! Keep refrigerated.
If not using a mold
- Repeat the instructions above for making the raw chocolate and the caramel.
- Freeze the caramel for 10 minuts so it's firm, then roll into 15 balls.
- Dip the balls into the raw chocolate to create a coating. You may need to repeat this a few times to get a thick enough coating.
- Freeze to set for approximately 30 minutes then enjoy! Keep refrigerated.
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 94Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 9mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 1g