Flavourful and comforting traybake of roasted potatoes with asparagus tips and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
I’ve been obsessed with balsamic vinegar lately, adding it to all my meals and binge-eating bread and and balsamic vinegar dip. It’s pretty addictive.
Today’s recipe uses it to bring out the sweetness of seasonal asparagus and give a crisp golden coating to these new potatoes.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Baby potatoes – Small, waxy potatoes such as charlotte or new potatoes.
- Asparagus – You can use the thicker or thin spears in this recipe but will need to adjust cooking times a little as the thick ones will take a couple of minutes longer.
- Balsamic vinegar – Balsamic vinegar gives such an incredible flavour to this dish but you can also try it with other vinegar, such as white or apple cider vinegar. The end result will be different but still delicious.
- Garlic-infused olive oil – This gives a wonderful garlic flavour without any burned bits of garlic. Another option, if you don’t have the infused oil, is to crush whole, peeled cloves of garlic and roast them in the tray with the potatoes. Remove them before serving.
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
So flavourful and so comforting. I think this would make the perfect side dish for an Easter lunch or dinner. Or just a simple, casual weeknight dinner in itself.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 1 kg 2.2 lbs new potatoes (small waxy potatoes) cut into quarters
- 250 g / 8.8 oz asparagus tips, cut into 2 inch pieces or halved
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil*
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C / 390F.
- In a large roasting tin, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. Add the potatoes and toss to coat fully before roasting for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add the asparagus with a little extra olive oil, if needed. Toss to coat and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Season with extra balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
*You can also just use regular olive oil with a few whole crushed garlic cloves. Remove the cloves before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size g
Amount Per Serving Calories 292Saturated Fat 1gCarbohydrates 47gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 7g