make the most of stop myself eating all of the shortbread I made earlier this week, I decided to use some of it for a recipe idea I’ve been thinking of for a while…
Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream!
I can’t describe how amazing it is. But I’m sure it’s not hard for you to imagine that the combination of strawberry ice cream, real strawberry pieces and buttery shortbread biscuits make for one delicious dessert.
With real strawberries and strawberries pieces and crumbled “buttery” shrotbread. All vegan! And if you want to make this refined sugar-free and paleo-friendly, you could try using my grain-free biscuit recipe instead.
The basic strawberry ice cream recipe is taken from my book, Coconut Milk Ice Cream and I simply added some extra strawberry bits and some crumbled shortbread.
This ice cream is:
- Mix 60ml / ¼ cup coconut milk with the arrowroot powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the rest of the coconut milk into a blender with the strawberries and maple syrup and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, stir in the arrowroot mixture to thicken the liquid. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and alcohol.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge until very cold and churn in your ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions. During the last few minutes of churning, add the half of the shortbread crumbs, reserving the rest for decoration.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer-safe container, sprinkle the rest of the shortbread crumbs on top and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, leave soften for a few minutes at room temperature before scooping. Serve with some extra shortbread crumbs in a cone or in a bowl. Enjoy!