A simple royal icing recipe made without egg whites. Instead, using the water from a can of chickpeas (yes! trust me, this works).
Use this icing for covering fruit cakes, wedding cakes, gingerbread houses, writing icing etc etc.
- 9 tbsp chickpea brine (the water drained from a can of chickpeas)
- 500g / 4 cups icing sugar, sifted*
- 2 tsp vegetable glycerine (optional)
- Whisk the chickpea water with an electric mixer until foamy and then add 400g of the sugar to the mixture and continue to mix on high speed until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Stir in the glycerine and rest of the sugar, mixing until soft peaks are formed.
- To make the icing thicker, add more sugar and to thin it out, add more chickpea water.
- The mixture should keep for a couple of days, covered at room temperature.