Soothing chamomile and zesty lemon pair beautifully together in this shortbread to create a sweet, comforting flavour.
Perfect served with a cup of chamomile tea! This recipe is based on my original vegan shortbread recipe with the obvious additions as well as a tablespoon of corn flour which I’ve started using to create a more crumbly texture.
Resulting in the nicest shortbread I’ve made so far!
- 200 g / ¾ cup + 2tbsp dairy-free butter, I used Vitalite
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp dried chamomile flowers or contents of 2 chamomile tea bags
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 100 g / ½ cup caster sugar
- 300 g / 2½ cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- Cream the butter, vanilla, chamomile, lemon and sugar together. Stir in the flour and corn flour and mix into a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160c / 140c (fan) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll out to approximately ½ cm thickness and cut into shapes. Place on the baking sheet, sprinkle with a little extra sugar and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown at the edges, turning half way through to ensure even baking.
- Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving or decorating.