I’m often guilty of making out-of-season recipes, such as this rather autumnal-looking dish, featuring spiralized butternut squash, mushrooms, sage and lentils.
It definitely brings to mind a more cosy, autumn dinner scene, rather than a summer evening meal.
However, these ingredients are good all year round and the fact that the noodles are made from spiralized squash adds a lightness and freshness which is perfect for summer.
Butternut Squash Noodles
Have you tried them yet? They make a really fantastic spaghetti alternative and taste gorgeous! I love courgetti / zoodles, spiralized carrots & cucumbers but this is definitely the most satisfying.
Don’t have a spiralizer? I’ve seen many shops start selling packaged spiralized vegetables now. Including butternut squash (If you’re in the UK, M&S sell them), courgettes, sweet potato and carrots.
I used the last of my creamy cashew cheese sauce for this recipe but if you don’t have time to make the sauce beforehand, you can make a quick version using almond milk, garlic, nutritional yeast and arrowroot powder or corn starch.
The sauce is mixed with the mushrooms, lentils and sage to create a creamy, cheesy, garlic-y, heavenly topping for these noodles.
This dish is:
- Vegetarian & vegan
- Dairy-free & eggless
- Gluten-free & grain-free
- Low calorie
- High in plant-based protein (13g per serving!)
- Quick-cook (ready in under 10 minutes!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled & spiralized (or 1 pack of prepared butternut noodles)
- Approx 10 white cup mushrooms, peeled and sliced
- 90g / ½ cup cooked puy lentils*
- Few fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- In a large saucepan or wok, heat the olive oil and cook the butternut noodles on medium heat for a couple of minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the mushrooms, lentils and sage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Make a quick sauce by mixing the almond milk and arrowroot together in a small bowl, then add the mixture and the garlic to the frying pan and stir into the noodles. As it heats, it will begin to thicken. Once thick and creamy, remove from the heat and stir in the nutritional flakes.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!