It can be eaten for breakfast, with berries or drizzled on top of wraps for lunch, served with curries for dinner or made into a tasty frozen yoghurt for dessert!
The taste is tangy, with a subtle sweetness from the vanilla and maple syrup and a mild nuttiness from the cashews. It’s super easy to make and requires no fancy equipment or ingredients…
- 230g / 1½ cups raw cashew nuts (soaked for at least 1 hour in water)
- 300ml / 1¼ cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp probiotic powder or contents of approx 2 probiotic capsules (I used Bio-Kult)
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashew nuts and add them to a blender.
- Pour the rest of the ingredients into the blender and blend on high for about 5 minutes until the mixture is completely smooth and silky. No lumps should remain.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and cover with a clean towel, tea towel or muslin cloth.
- Keep in a warm place (I used the airing cupboard) for 24-28 hours, depending on how tangy you want it! It will be ready when the mixture looks foamy and is coming away from the sides of the bowls. It will also have a strong but pleasant tangy smell!
- When the yoghurt has fermented. Give it a good stir or mix again in a clean blender if needed. Transfer to a jar or container and keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Follow instructions below on how to make frozen yoghurt from this recipe (no ice cream maker needed.)
- 1 portion of the Raw Probiotic Cashew Yoghurt recipe above
- Optional flavourings such as pureed fruit, lemon zest, cocoa powder etc.
- If using added flavourings, stir in or blend with the yoghurt until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow freezer safe container and spread it out evenly. Secure the lid and place it in the freezer for an hour.
- After an hour, take the mixture out of the freezer and give it a good stir to break up any icy bits that may have formed and make the mixture nice and creamy.
- Place back in the freezer and allow to freeze completely (for at least another hour or overnight.)
- To serve, take the container out of the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 minute so it softens slightly. Scoop and serve!
What is your favourite flavour frozen yoghurt? I would like to try this with some raw cocoa powder for some chocolate froyo!