I decided to try making my favourite crispy new potatoes recipe but without the fat and with a low sodium option for dieters.
I couldn’t believe how crispy and delicious these turned out without using any oil!
There was definitely a certain satisfaction knowing it was a much healthier version of one of my favourite side dishes.
I used a 1-cal olive oil spray (OK, so technically there is a tiny bit of oil) which is watered down and contains only 0.1g fat per spray but alternatively you can use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
I served these at my first vegan BBQ and can honestly say I did not miss the meat or dairy at all. There are some amazing meat-free products out there at the moment and of course, BBQ’d vegetables are always welcome on my plate.
I had a Fry’s Family Traditional Burger served on a seeded burger bun with ketchup and coconut sugar caramelised onions (recipe coming soon), two Linda McCartney Vegetarian Sausages, salad and these crispy fat-free potatoes.
Vegan BBQ heaven.
- 1 kg new potatoes, such as Jersey Royals
- optional Extra-virgin olive oil low-cal spray*
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste (use Lo Salt for a low-sodium version)
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 390f and line a large roasting tin with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Alternatively, spray with 1 cal olive oil spray.
- Rinse the potatoes then cut them in half, at an angle, to create as much flat surface as possible for optimum crispiness. Leave small potatoes whole and cut the larger ones into thirds or quarters.
- Add to a large pan and cover with water. Boil for approximately 15 minutes until soft.
- Drain and transfer to the roasting tray. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Toss around until well coated and the potatoes are bashed slightly (to help them crisp up more) and then arrange them so that the cut sides are facing down.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Serve with some torn fresh parsley and extra seasoning, if desired.
*to use instead of parchment paper or silicone mat. The spray is just watered down olive oil and is only 1 calorie per spray.
Nutrition InformationYield 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 165Carbohydrates 39gFiber 4gProtein 4g
Have you tried a veggie or vegan BBQ before? What’s your favourite side dish?