In the interest of doing something a little different this year… I’ve made some gingerbread cookies with a stained glass candy centre. They may not be great for your teeth but hey, it’s Christmas and they taste AMAZING!
These cookies are great fun to make with kids who will love helping cut out the shapes and place the candy in the centre of the cookies. They’re also easy to make vegan (egg-free and dairy-free) and can be made gluten-free by simply substituting the plain flour for plain gluten-free flour.
But not only are these cookies really delicious, they’re simply beautiful to look at, especially when they catch the light. They make very pretty Christmas decorations too. I used a skewer to poke holes in the tops of the cookies and thread them with string so I could hang them on the tree.
I was sent the Laura Ashley Cookie Cutter Decoration Kit to make these cookies (which are featured on their blog) and the kit even provides some beautiful ribbons and plastic bags so you can easily make the cookies into gifts! Great for stocking fillers :-)
- 150 g vegan butter / spread
- 120 g dark muscavado sugar
- 60 g golden syrup
- 375 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- Vegan-friendly mixed coloured boiled sweets, glass candy
- In a small saucepan, gently melt together the butter, the sugar and the golden syrup.
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices. Pour in the melted butter and sugar and mix until it forms a soft dough. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170c and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust your surface with flour and roll out the dough to about 1/2 cm thickness. Cut out your cookie shapes with a gap in the middle and transfer to the baking tray. Keep in mind that the gingerbread dough will expand in the oven.
- Place the glass sweets in the gaps of the cookies and bake for approx 10 minutes or until they turn dark golden brown and the sweets have completely melted down.
- Leave the cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes before handling them as the melted candy will be very hot and sticky out of the oven.
- Once completely cooled, they're ready to enjoy!