You could call these Mince Pie Brownies but for those who don’t like mince pies… I think you will love these brownies. They’re also made with gluten-free flour and are vegan too!
I was inspired to make these brownies after being sent a lovely package from Holland & Barrett which supplied me with the ideal ingredients for festive baking. This year, they’ve created a handy gift finder on their website, which I used to find gifts for myself!
The mince pie filling gives these brownies a fruity, natural sweetness and an incredible texture. Honestly one of the nicest brownies I’ve had!
These brownies are:
Christmas Brownies (Vegan & Gluten-free)
- 150 g / 1 cup plain gluten free flour
- 250 g / 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 100 g / 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice or pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- A pinch of salt
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or apple puree, you can find this in the baby food aisle!
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup vegetable oil I used sunflower
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 g / 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp vegan-friendly mincemeat (mince pie filling)
Preheat oven to 180c / 350f and line a 8x8 inch brownie tin with baking paper.
Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, spices, baking powder, soda and salt together in a large bowl.
Stir in the applesauce, almond milk, oil and vanilla to make a smooth batter.
Fold in the chocolate chips and mincemeat.
Transfer the mixture to the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Leave to cool completely before cutting into 16 squares. Enjoy!