Stuffed peppers are always a welcome option for dinner in my house. They make a really tasty, filling meal but are so healthy and are usually low calorie too!
Since Mexican food is one of my favourite cuisines, I decided to stuff these peppers with a bean burrito mixture. Including kidney beans, chilli powder, tomato, sweetcorn and onions.
Top it with my vegan cashew cheese sauce and you’re in heaven.
The mixture is inspired by my healthy bean burritos recipe and uses the same basic bean mixture, with just a few adaptions and additions.
These are a delicious meal just on their own but I recommend serving them with my harissa potatoes recipe. SO GOOD.
These also reheat really well. Simply wrap them in some tin foil and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, then 5 minutes unwrapped.
It’s best to drizzle the cheese sauce on after but it can be cooked too.
So if you love burritos and want a healthy, delicious and filling meal that is also gluten-free… these might be the perfect thing!
These stuffed peppers are:
- Vegetarian & vegan
- Gluten-free & grain-free
- Easy to make
- Low calorie but very filling!
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 x 400g tins kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 small tin, approx 150g of sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegan cashew cheese sauce
- Optional extras: Guacamole, salsa etc.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F.
- Chop the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds. Add to a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil. Cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until slightly browned and softened but still firm enough to retain it's shape.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic, onion and a small splash of water to a frying pan. Cook on a medium heat for a minute, then add the chili powder and beans. Add some more water (about a tabelspoon or two) and cook for a few minutes, until the beans are softened and moist. Partially mash them with a fork or masher so you have a chunky bean paste.
- Stir in the chopped tomato, sweetcorn and salt & pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the pepper halves and return to the oven for another 5-8 minutes, just to warm through.
- Serve hot with the vegan cashew cheese sauce drizzled on top. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 3
Amount Per Serving Calories 203Carbohydrates 21.4gFiber 6.9gSugar 6.7gProtein 8.3g
Do you like stuffed peppers? What’s your favourite filling?