I know I said I was looking forward to Autumn cooking from now on and ice cream doesn’t really fit into that imagery. But I love making ice cream any time of year…
In this recipe, I’ve used brown sugar to add some flavour and depth but ordinary sugar would be fine or you can substitute some maple syrup which would be delicious! (Wish I’d tried that now.)
And cornstarch can be used instead of arrowroot if you don’t have any to hand.
The ice cream is sweet and creamy with the familiar rum & raisin flavours except with added deliciousness thanks to the coconut milk!
Vegan Rum & Raisin Ice Cream
Creamy, rich ice cream made from coconut milk, flavoured with rum and raisin.
- 700 ml 3 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g ¾ cup brown sugar
- 115 g ¾ cup raisins
- approx 5 tbsp rum, more or less depending on how boozey you want it!
- Mix the arrowroot with 60ml (¼ cup) of the coconut milk in a small bowl. Set aside for later.
- Put the raisins in a small bowl and pour over 3 tbsp of the rum. Let it soak whilst you make the ice cream.
- Pour the rest of the coconut milk and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring gently. Once it reaches a boil, remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and arrowroot mixture which will cause it to thicken.
- Refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours until very cold.
- Follow your ice cream maker's instructions to churn the ice cream. At the last minute, add the soaked raisins and an extra 2-3 tbsp of rum.
- When it's churned, transfer it to a shallow, freezer-safe container and leave it to firm up for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Take out the freezer 5-10 minutes before you want to serve, to let it soften slightly. Then use an ice cream scoop, soaked in hot water to create the perfect scoops! Enjoy :-)
Hi there! I’d rather use maple syrup versus the brown sugar. Would you be able to provide me with the quantity of maple syrup that I should use? Btw: That rum raisin version sounds yummy. ( A possible Christmas dessert!) Ty!
Thank you for posting this recipe. I don’t have arrowroot, what can I use as substitute? I have vegan gel- vegan version of gelatine. Will this work?
Can’t wait to make it!
Corn starch! Or tapioca flour. Hope you enjoy :-)
By 700 ml of canned coconut milk…..
Did you mean 700 ml of just the hard, coconut cream part that you get when chilling the can?
Or 700 ml of the whole can, including the little bit of water?
Thank you so much!
Hi Margo – the whole can yes, this is about 2 tins of full fat coconut milk. Hope you enjoy!
Do I use the coconut milk in the can?
Yes, canned full-fat coconut milk.