I’ve had a long-standing obsession with risottos and that hasn’t changed since I stopped eating dairy. Nutritional yeast and a little almond milk is all I need for a creamy, “cheesy” flavour.
My favourite risotto dish at the moment is this Rocket, Pea & Spring Onion risotto which celebrates fresh spring ingredients.
But whilst this is an easy and light dish, it’s also comforting and filling, making it an ideal weeknight dinner.
The delicate flavours in this risotto are perfectly paired with a glass of white wine or elderflower cordial.
Vegan Rocket & Pea Risotto
A dairy-free risotto that celebrates the delicate flavours of spring. Ideal for weeknight dinners!
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 clove garlic. crushed
- 220 g / 1 cup arborio rice
- 120 ml / ½ cup dry white wine
- Approx 600ml / 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 80 g / ⅓ cup frozen garden peas
- 100 g wild rocket, washed and torn
- 20 g / ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- Black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the rice and stir for a minute until well coated.
- Pour in the white wine and stir until it's cooked off. Then add a ladle full of stock at a time until the rice absorbs it before adding more. Cook for about 25 minutes or until the risotto becomes al dente.
- Half way through, add the peas and about 5 minutes before the end, add the rocket.
- When the risotto is perfectly cooked, add the nutritional yeast and almond milk. Stir through and season with black pepper, to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
I LOVE risotto too! I just know I’d love this recipe because Rocket is one of my favourite salad veggies.
Sharon @ Bit of the Good Stuff says
I love risottos too, especially ones filled with green veg. For me, they are the perfect savoury dish for welcoming in Spring ♥ Your rocket and pea combo sounds utterly delicious!
Oh my Aimee. This looks so good. I have been experimenting with vegan cooking myself and it has been a great learning experience.
Adding elderflower sounds so SO good. Well done, my friend.
I’ve noticed you’ve been experimenting with vegan lately, I’ve loved everything I’ve seen! Keep ’em coming, please :-D
Lily Lau says
Looks really awesome! I wish I can find all the ingredients tomorrow, thanks for sharing :D
Emma | Fork & Good says
You’ve made me really fancy risotto and elder flower cordial and I’m stuck at work. Looks like a fantastic recipe, I’ve never tried vegan risotto, but it doesn’t look like it would taste any less flavourful!