I’m quite late jumping on the salted caramel bandwagon, I admit. But this recipe was just too good not to share!
- 700 ml 3 cups full-fat tinned coconut milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 150 g ¾ cup coconut sugar*
- optional 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (further enhances the caramel taste)
- Take the cans of coconut milk out of the fridge, open them and notice how the fat has sunk to the bottom and the skimmed has floated to the top. We want the fat part, the cream (Don't fear the fat!) So pour out the liquid and discard or keep for another recipe. And scrape out the cream to use for the ice cream, you will need 3 cups full.
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and mix for a minute until completely smooth.
- Follow your ice cream maker's instructions to churn the ice cream.
- When it's churned, transfer it to a shallow, freezer-safe container and leave it to firm up for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Take out the freezer 5-10 minutes before you want to serve, to let it soften slightly. Then use an ice cream scoop, soaked in hot water to create the perfect scoops! ENJOY!
*refrigerating and separating the coconut milk is a necessary stage in this recipe. It's what gives such a creamy end result.
*coconut sugar is also known as coconut palm sugar but please note that 'palm sugar' is not the same.