Are almonds, eggs, raisins and honey all healthy enough to eat for breakfast? If you think so, then so is this cake.
The ingredients are simple and healthy yet the result is so satisfyingly delicious – you wouldn’t know it.
I’ve added some chai tea flavour to this cake as the mixed spice flavours compliment fruit cakes so well.
Plus, it makes the fruit extra moist and tasty!
- 180 g organic raisins/sultanas
- 1 cup of chai tea, or just plain water
- 170 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice, or pumpkin spice mix
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 1 generous tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey, or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Add one cup of chai tea to the raisins and let infuse for at least an hour (or preferably overnight.) Drain and leave to dry on some kitchen towel until they are just moist and not wet.
- Preheat oven to 170c. Grease and line a small 7" cake tin (or loaf tin.)
- Combine the ground almonds, cinnamon, mixed spice, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time and follow with the honey, oil and zest. Whisk until everything is well combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and when pricked with a cake tester - it comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving. Store in a tin at room temperature for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 8
Amount Per Serving Calories 264Carbohydrates 20gFiber 2gProtein 10g