This French Apple Tart uses butter-free puff pastry (which can be found in any supermarket) to make it vegan.
It also contains no added fats and only a small amount of coconut sugar, a nutritional and tastier alternative to brown or regular sugar. Best of all, it’s only 150 calories per slice!
Forget the pretty plates and forks you see in the photo above… They were not used in the eating of this tart.
If you have a fair amount of leftover dough after cutting the circle base out, you might be able to make another mini tart to bake along side it.
I was able to make an individual one which gave me the opportunity to try some of the tart whilst I was photographing it (and therefore stopping me from picking at the one in the photos! For a while at least…)
- 1 x 375g ready-made puff pastry, make sure it's vegan and if frozen make sure it's fully defrosted!
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and cored
- Almond milk, or other dairy-free milk, for brushing
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- Apricot jam for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the puff pastry out to about 1/2 inch thick. Use a plate or pot lid to cut a circle (approx 10 inches)
- Use a sharp knife to score an inner border around the circle of pastry, about 1/2 inch away from the edge. Score a criss cross pattern in the centre of the pastry to prevent it rising too much in the middle.
- Thinly slice the apples and arrange them onto the pastry sheet, fanning out from the outside in, overlapping each other.
- Brush the border of the pastry with a little almond milk and sprinkle the coconut sugar on top of the apples.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, until the tart is golden and the apples are soft.
- Leave to cool on the baking sheet for a moment whilst you heat the apricot jam in a saucepan with a small drop of water.
- Using a pastry brush, glaze the top of the tart with the apricot jam.
- Serve and enjoy! Can be enjoyed warm or at room-temperature.
Nutrition InformationYield 8
Amount Per Serving Calories 150 Carbohydrates 18g Protein 2g