Who is familiar with Toffee Crisp bars?
They’re a British candy bar that consists of soft toffee and crisped rice covered in chocolate.
Sounds pretty good, right?
These vegan toffee crisp chocolate bars are easy, slightly healthier than the original and taste amazing.
- 200 g / 1 cup light brown sugar
- 360 ml / 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 80 g / 3 cups crisped brown rice cereal
- 200 g / 7 oz dairy-free chocolate
- Prepare an 8x8 tin with greaseproof paper.
- Make the caramel by adding the sugar, milk and coconut oil to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, whilst whisking. Once it reaches a boil and begins to bubble, reduce the heat slightly and whisk intermittently for 15-20 minutes until the mixture has reduced and thickened to a toffee sauce.
- Remove from the heat and work quickly to stir in the crisped brown rice as the mixture will start to firm up fast.
- Once mixed, transfer to the prepared tin and use the greaseproof paper to fold the mixture in half so it's taking up half of the tin, making the bars about 1 ½ inches tall. Flatten as much as you can then leave to set in the fridge or freezer for about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate by placing it in a heatproof bowl, suspended over a pot of recently boiled water. Stir until completely melted and leave to cool sligtly.*
- Remove the toffee crisp mixture from the freezer and cut into approximately 10 bars.
- Dip each one into the chocolate until it's covered, then allow it to set on some greaseproof paper. Once all the bars have been covered in chocolate, leave to set in the fridge for about 30 minutes before eating.
*You can temper the chocolate if you want a more shelf stable treat. I didn't bother because I'm too impatient.