I have betrayed my trusty coconut milk today and have used oats instead to make this creamy ice cream.
I still uphold that coconut milk is the best for making ice cream but couldn’t resist experimenting with oats too and loved the result of this Oat Raisin Cookie Dough flavour.
The great thing about this treat is it’s completely fruit-sweetened. The raisins not only provide flavour but the subtle sweetness of the ice cream too.
Although, if you prefer something extra sweet, a bit of coconut sugar or brown sugar is a beautiful addition.
I will say that this ice cream doesn’t scoop as well straight from the freezer as my other ice creams, although it’s always an issue with homemade ice cream anyway.
So I recommend leaving it at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving and using a scoop dipped in hot water to serve.
Alternatively, serve it straight from the ice cream maker as soft serve!
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, I used Vitalite
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 g / 3/4 cup oats
- 115 g / 3/4 cup raisins, soaked for an hour
- optional 4 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar*
- 500 ml / 2 cups + 2 tbsp almond milk
- optional 1 or 2 tbsp vodka - to keep the ice cream freezing too hard
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the salt, oats, cinnamon vanilla and oats. Sitr on a low heat for a minute to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a blender, along with the raisins, coconut sugar and alcohol (if using), and almond milk. Blend until smooth.
- Chill the mixture overnight.
- Churn the ice cream according to your ice cream machine's instructions and either serve straight from the machine, freeze for a couple of hours and serve or freeze overnight and allow to soften at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- Delicious served with a granola topping!
*I find the raisins provide enough sweetness but if you want to make it sweeter, you can add more sugar.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 193Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 23mgSodium 78mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 2gSugar 19gProtein 2g