Vegan coconut milk-based ice cream flavoured with delicate rosewater and crunchy pistachio pieces for a “Turkish Delight” flavour.
I couldn’t wait for the weather to warm up before I started making ice cream recipes again… This Turkish Delight flavour is my new favourite!
I suppose you could say I’m DELIGHTED with it!!! *Audience laughs and applauds* Thank you, thank you…
The base of the recipe is the same as most of the recipes in my book, Coconut Milk Ice Cream, yielding the perfect, creamy and smooth ice cream.
Inspired by the Middle-Eastern flavours in Turkish Delight, I’ve added rose water and pistachios to this ice cream along with a drop of natural red food dye to give the Turkish Delight hue.
It’s too good. I may have eaten two bowls of this after I photographed these shots…
- 720 ml / 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 120 ml / ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp rose water
- optional 1 tbsp alcohol (such as vodka, brandy etc.)
- optional natural red food colouring or beet juice
- 1 handful of raw pistachios, roughly chopped
- Mix 60ml / ¼ cup coconut milk with the arrowroot powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the rest of the coconut milk into a large saucepan with the maple syrup and bring to a boil. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, stir in the arrowroot mixture to thicken the liquid. Remove from the heat and stir in the rose water and alcohol. If you want to give your ice cream a pink colour, then use a small drop of red food colouring or beet juice and stir until you have the desired colour.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge until very cold and churn in your ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions. During the last few minutes of churning, add the chopped pistachios, reserving a few for decoration later, if you wish.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a couple of minutes and use an ice cream scoop, dipped in hot water, to create smooth scoops. Enjoy!