This recipe is my take on malt chocolate ice cream. Instead of malted milk or Horlicks powder, I use maca – a delicious superfood with a natural “malted” taste.
And as with all the ice creams I make, this one is vegan and made using coconut milk. If you like the comforting taste of malted cocoa, then you’ll love this healthy treat!
This ice cream is:
- 720ml / 3 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 20g / ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maca powder
- 120ml / ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90g / ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- (optional) 1 tbsp alcohol
- Mix 60ml / ¼ cup coconut milk with the arrowroot powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the rest of the coconut milk into a large saucepan with the cocoa powder, maca powder and maple syrup and bring to a boil, stirring all the time. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, stir in the arrowroot mixture to thicken the liquid. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, chocolate chips and alcohol. Keep stirring until all the chocolate is melted.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge until cold and churn.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.