*REPOST* Originally published February 19th 2014. Updated with new photos + video. I’m in the process of re-visiting some old recipes and giving them a re-vamp with some new photos and video instructions so you might see some familiar recipes resurfacing every now and then!
This recipe I first posted three years ago and is still one of my staple favourites. It’s just SO easy to make and packs in so much flavour and nutrition.
The heat in this vegetarian chilli really hits the spot. Just looking at it makes me feel better with all those warm, bright colours and inviting textures.
It’s frugal, super-nutritious and even meat-lovers will enjoy this as the sweet potato is so flavourful, filling and satisfying that they won’t miss the meat.
This dish is:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper , (Optional - for extra heat)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400 g tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- Salt & pepper, , to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the sweet potatoes, onion and garlic. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until the veg has softened slightly.
- Stir in the chili, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and cumin and cook for a futher couple of minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and chopped tomatoes, stir to coat the vegetables thoroughly then simmer gently for 30-35 minutes. Add a little water if it becomes too thick.
- At the last minute, add the kale. Don't over cook it, just let it wilt slightly so it retains colour and texture.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size g
Amount Per Serving Calories 219Carbohydrates 37gFiber 8gProtein 8g