Whoever thought that the combination of grapes and rosemary could create such an amazing dessert?
The inspiration came from a magazine article on cheese pairings that I read out of desperate boredom, whilst in the dentist’s waiting room a few weeks back.
I don’t eat cheese but I’m always interested in what flavours work with each other.
And once I read that grape and rosemary were complimentary, I dreamed up this sorbet and have been dying to make it ever since. I was definitely not disappointed with the result…
This sorbet is also super easy to make, vegan, free from refined sugars, fat-free and paleo-friendly! Don’t you just love guilt-free desserts?
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup water
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 720 ml / 3 cups purple grape juice
- optional 2 tbsp alcohol such as vodka, whiskey, brandy etc.*
- Make a simple syrup by heating the maple syrup and water in a small saucepan. Add the fresh rosemary to the pan. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Leave to cool, then strain and mix with the purple grape juice and alcohol (if using).
- Chill the mixture for a couple of hours, until completely cold.
- You can either add it straight to an ice cream machine and churn until thick and smooth or you can give it a good whisk before freezing, then whipping again an hour after it's frozen to break up any ice that forms.
- Add the sorbet to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
*The alcohol keeps the sorbet from freezing too hard.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88 Carbohydrates: 23g