Lemon flavoured bakes are the best. Especially this time of year when you crave more zesty, fresh flavours.
These lemon drizzle cake slices are perfect for when you fancy lemon cake but don’t want to make a huge cake with giant slices.
It’s easy to make these gluten-free because the sponge is so moist, thanks to the drizzle and yoghurt, that it can withstand the gluten-free flours (usual) drying effects.
Simply replace the plain flour for gluten-free flour!
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
For the lemon cake
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil or mild olive oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup dairy free yoghurt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the drizzle
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the lemon icing
- 8 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- optional Dried lemon slices and zest
To make the cake
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F and line an 8x8 inch baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients in, leaving the apple cider vinegar until last and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, spongey and a cake tester comes out clean.
To make the drizzle
- Whilst it's still warm from the oven, poke a few holes in the cake using a skewer or fork. Prepare the drizzle by mixing the maple syrup and lemon juice together and pouring over the cake. Using a pastry brush to spread it evenly over the top of the cake.
- Leave the cake to cool whilst you prepare the icing.
- To make the icing, simply mix the powdered sugar with the lemon juice until you have a thick runny icing. You may need to add more lemon juice or more powdered sugar until you have the desired consistency.
- Spread the icing onto the cooled cake and allow to set. I put mine in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Then cut into 16 small squares and decorate with dried lemon slices or zest.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 102Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 38mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 0gSugar 9gProtein 1g