Rhubarb season is here! I adore rhubarb but it’s only around for a short space of time so we’ve got to make the most of it and I’ve got just the recipe to do that…
These rhubarb and ginger muffins are so flavourful and comforting, I think they would make the perfect Mother’s Day bake! Plus, as always, they are completely vegan, dairy-free and egg-free.
Rhubarb & Ginger Muffins (Vegan)
This vegan muffin recipe is egg-free and dairy-free, with sweet, sharp rhubarb and ginger.
- 280 g (2 cups) self-raising flour (or plain flour with 1 tbsp baking powder)
- 170 g (1 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- A pinch of salt
- 300 g (2 cups) chopped rhubarb (approx)
- 2 pieces of stem ginger* finely chopped
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil (such as sunflower, grapeseed or coconut)
- 240ml / 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp demerera sugar for topping
Preheat oven to 180C / 350F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cases.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, spices and salt.
In a separate bowl, add the chopped rhubarb, ginger, oil, almond milk, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
Stir the wet mixture into the dry.
Spoon the mixture equally between the muffin cases and sprinkle some demerera sugar on the tops of the muffins.
Bake for 25 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
Leave to cool before enjoying!
*Stem ginger can be found in the baking aisle at most supermarkets and is packaged in a jar with syrup.