Thank you Tenderstem Royale® for sponsoring this recipe
Making a full, satisfying and healthy meal can often feel like way too much hard work. That’s why toast-based dinners are a go-to for me. A hearty slice of wholemeal, sourdough or granary bread provides a filling and nutritious base, then its just a case of adding some toppings.
This leek & bean mash takes 5 minutes, is packed with protein and nutrients and tastes incredible. So creamy! I also love just adding hummus on top if I’m feeling extra lazy.
Then top with vegetables and any other toppings you like. In this case, I used Tenderstem Royale® – which is not only very quick and easy to cook but adds amazing colour and crunch. A sprinkle of chilli flakes to complete and YUM.
I love purple anything so I was pretty excited to discover this Tenderstem Royale® in Marks & Spencer, recently. Look at that colour!
It’s packed full of nutrients like vitamin A to keep skin healthy, vitamin C to keep your immune system in check, potassium to maintain normal blood pressure and B6, which helps reduce tiredness and fatigue.
From the same family of brassicas as the classic green Tenderstem®, but with a more buttery, mellow flavour. You can find it in most M&S food halls and will be available all-year round. Find out more here.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed or roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g tin of Cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 2 slices granary bread
- 200g Tenderstem Royale®
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan and fry the leeks and garlic for 5 minutes, until softened. Add in the beans during the last minute to warm through.
- Add to a food processor with the tahini and dairy-free milk. Pulse until roughly blended and chunky.
- Meanwhile, toast the slices of granary bread until golden brown.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil back to the empty pan and fry the Tenderstem Royale® on medium- heat for 2 minutes. Add a splash of water then immediately cover with a lid and cook for a further minute.
- To serve, spread the bean mash on top of the toasts, then position the Tenderstem Royale® on top. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Enjoy!