Easy, delicious raw marzipan treats covered in chocolate. Perfect as a healthy Easter snack!
Marzipan is something I seem to associate strongly with Easter time.
Probably because of the marzipan decoration on Simnel cakes but there is something about the flavour that makes me nostalgic for past Easters and Spring.
Anyway, for this Easter I have made some raw marzipan truffles which are so moreish and divine - they would be welcome any time of year!
To make these extra Easter-y (Easter-ish?) you could use egg shaped molds and serve them in pastel coloured mini muffin cases.
Or if you wanted to make these into 'Simnel Cake Truffles' you could add some chopped dried fruit to the marzipan, along with some mixed spices.
- 100 g / 1 cup ground almonds
- 2-3 tbsp agave nectar
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- optional 1 tsp vanilla extract
Raw chocolate coating
- 120 ml / ½ cup of virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 5 tbsp raw cacao powder
- In a food processor, mix together the ingredients for the raw marzipan until it balls together into a doughy mixture. Add more sweetener if it's too dry or more ground almonds if it's too wet.
- Roll the marzipan into small balls (approx 18) and place them in the freezer whilst you prepare the chocolate coating.
- To make the chocolate coating, prepare a double boiler by placing a heat-proof bowl on top of a pan of boiled water. Add the coconut oil and allow it to melt. Once melted, remove from the heat and whisk in the agave and cacao powder. Taste and adjust sweetness, if needed.
- Remove the marzipan balls from the freezer and dip them one at a time into the melted chocolate. I used a skewer stick to dip them in and turn to remove any excess chocolate. Place them onto some greaseproof paper and place in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes.
- These can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 129Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 38mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 2g