These are the most light, fluffy and delicious vegan pancakes I’ve ever tasted. No bananas or hard to find ingredients. Just simple ingredients and an easy recipe!
I originally made this recipe with dates, figs and orange but now it’s a weekly favourite that I usually just make plain with golden syrup. Simple and delicious.
But the flavourings and topping ideas are endless. See below for some inspiration!
American-Style or Scotch Pancakes?
These are inspired by American-style pancakes but also remind me of Scotch pancakes that I used to eat with jam as a child, here in the UK.
It definitely brought back a nostalgic taste and I cannot wait to make these again soon with a dollop of raspberry jam.
6 Simple Ingredients
I actually based the recipe off one of my cupcake recipes as I was curious to see how an ordinary cake batter would work for pancakes.
Turns out it’s the way to go. No need for bananas, applesauce or any complicated ingredients.
You will need:
- Flour + baking powder
- Corn starch (or arrowroot powder)
- Maple syrup
- Apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar – this is to mix with the dairy-free milk to make “buttermilk”)
- Dairy-free milk
- Vegetable oil (choose a mild tasting one such as coconut or sunflower)
Of course you can play around with this recipe, here we’ve added orange zest, cinnamon, cardamom and topped them with figs and date syrup.
The combination was divine but I first tested these just plain and simple and they were delicious in their own right. So feel free to mix it up however you like with chocolate chips etc.
Other topping ideas:
- Golden syrup
- Chocolate sauce
- Fruit compote
- Vegan yoghurt
- Lemon curd
More Dreamy Vegan Breakfasts
The Fluffiest Vegan Pancakes
Light, fluffy and delicious pancakes that are 100% vegan.
- 90g / ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 120ml / ½ cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Heat a dry frying pan on a low heat. A small non-stick works best but use your first try to assess if you need to add a small amount of oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients until well combined and the texture is runny but thick.
- Ladle approximately ¼ cup of the batter onto the dry pan and cook for 20-30 seconds (or when bubbles start to form on top) before carefully flipping onto the other side. Cook for another 20-30 seconds.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve and enjoy!
*You can also use gluten-free plain flour. I tested the recipe with Dove's Farm Gluten-free mix and they tasted great. However, they are slightly paler in colour and didn't rise quite as well. Still delicious though!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size g
Amount Per Serving Calories 165Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 2mgSodium 134mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 1gSugar 12gProtein 3g
I just tried the pancakes with added dark chocolate chips.
Incredibly fluffy and yummy!
Yael Tamar says
Amazing pancake recipe.. Worth giving a try..
And above all your pictures are all so awesome..
BEST VEGAN PANCAKES JUST TRY IT OK. We really like these. Have made them three times since discovering them last week. Thanks!
Best vegan pancakes I’ve tried so far. I didn’t have cornstarch but I added ground chia seed, wheat germ, and ripe banana (and some water) to health it up a bit and they still turned out really well. So tasty! Thanks for the recipe! Going to try half whole wheat next time too.
Anne-Sophie Rayment says
This looks amazing!!! Is there any chance that you can make these ahead of time and freeze them? Do they keep well? And if so how long?