After creating a recipe for simple vegan scones, I’ve been making them pretty much every week. I LOVE scones, especially freshly baked ones straight from the oven.
So now it’s Christmas and I wanted to give them a festive twist. These Orange & Cranberry scones are full of Christmassy flavours and the scent that fills your kitchen after making them is so unbelievably good!
Naturally, these scones are a great pairing with marmalade but I actually prefer to use a good-tasting buttery dairy-free spread. When it melts into a warm scone, is there anything more comforting?
These scones are:
- 475g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp mixed spice (or pumpkin spice mix)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 80g light brown sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 75g vegan spread (I used Vitalite) + extra for glazing
- Zest of 1 orange or clementine
- Approx 240ml almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 100g dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 190c / 375f and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, spices, sugar and salt.
- Add the vegan butter in a tsp at a time and use your fingers to rub it into the flour. Alternatively, use a food processor or stand mixer. Add the orange zest.
- When the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles a dense sand, slowly add enough milk until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed briefly. Add the dried cranberries point. Flatten into a ¾ inch thick dough and cut out the scones using a small cookie cutter or upside down glass. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet and brush with a small amount of melted dairy-free spread or milk.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Enjoy warm from the oven with some vegan butter & jam!