After creating a recipe for simple vegan scones, I’ve been making them pretty much every week. I LOVE scones, especially freshly baked ones straight from the oven.
So now it’s Christmas and I wanted to give them a festive twist. These Orange & Cranberry scones are full of Christmassy flavours and the scent that fills your kitchen after making them is so unbelievably good!
Naturally, these scones are a great pairing with marmalade but I actually prefer to use a good-tasting buttery dairy-free spread. When it melts into a warm scone, is there anything more comforting?
These scones are:
- 475 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice, or pumpkin spice mix
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 80 g light brown sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 75 g vegan spread, I used Vitalite + extra for glazing
- Zest of 1 orange or clementine
- Approx 240ml almond milk, or other dairy-free milk
- 100 g dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 190c / 375f and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, spices, sugar and salt.
- Add the vegan butter in a tsp at a time and use your fingers to rub it into the flour. Alternatively, use a food processor or stand mixer. Add the orange zest.
- When the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles a dense sand, slowly add enough milk until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed briefly. Add the dried cranberries point. Flatten into a ¾ inch thick dough and cut out the scones using a small cookie cutter or upside down glass. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet and brush with a small amount of melted dairy-free spread or milk.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Enjoy warm from the oven with some vegan butter & jam!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: scone
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167 Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Protein: 3g