And I realised I’ve been relying on it a little too much lately, particularly with soy burgers, which are a summer BBQ staple for me.
So instead of processed soy burgers, which despite being very convenient and not a bad substitute, I have chosen to start making my own from now on, which are not only healthier but so so so much tastier!
I love the flavour from roasting the sweet potatoes but if you want to save time on cooking, you could microwave or steam the sweet potatoes instead of roasting them.
These burgers are:
- Gluten-free & grain-free (without the bun)
- 1 small sweet potato, approx 200g
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x 400g tin black beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp arrowroot powder, or tapioca flour, cornstarch etc.
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, mined
- 1 heaped tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wholemeal gluten-free bun
- Lettuce, tomato, red onion etc.
- Ketchup, vegan mayonaise or barbecue sauce etc.
- Fat-free oven chips
- Preheat the oven to 200c. and line a roasting tray with greaseproof paper or spray with olive oil.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into thin slices, dust with the smoked paprika and roast for approximately 30 minutes, until tender. Keep the oven on.
- Meanwhile, add the beans, arrowroot powder, onion, garlic, herbs and spices to a large bowl. When the sweet potato is cooked, add it to the bowl and mash everything together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 4 balls and flatten into patty shapes. Place on the baking tray you used earlier to roast the potatoes and cook for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Serve with a gluten-free bun and whatever toppings and sauces you desire. I love to serve mine with some homemade chips!
Nutrition InformationYield 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 155 Carbohydrates 32g Fiber 6g Sugar 4g Protein 6g
I have yet to test these out on the BBQ although I can imagine them holding up pretty well. Plus, it would really enhance the smoky flavour… Mmm! These are also really great without a bun, just serve on a bed of salad instead. Enjoy!