These adorable rainbow cupcakes were SO much fun to make and taste as good as they look! It’s a great recipe to make with kids as it’s easy, fun and very rewarding. Great for birthday parties or gifts (young and old will love them!) The cupcakes have a top blue layer which acts as the “sky” backdrop and the marshmallow frosting is the clouds. The cake batter itself has a marshmallow taste, due to the vanilla and milk, but combined with the marshmallow frosting it is so heavenly! These cupcakes are just *magical* :-)
Magical marshallow-flavoured, rainbow-coloured cupcakes!
- For the rainbow cupcakes
- 125g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
- 125g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 120g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tubes of gel food colouring (red, yellow, green and blue)
- For the marshmallow frosting
- 1 egg white
- 110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp water
- Candy stars
- Rainbow belt (available in most supermarkets or newsagents)
- To make the rainbow cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180c. and line a cupcake tin with 9 cases.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, vanilla and butter together until creamy.
- Beat in the eggs and slowly add the flour a bit at a time.
- Then add the milk, a tbsp at a time.
- Using 4 small bowls, divide the cake batter evenly into 1/4 portions.
- Mix in 1 tsp of red dye in one bowl, 1 stp of yellow in another, 1 tsp of green in another and 1 tsp of blue in the last. Stir the colours in and add more if needed to achieve the colour you want.*
- Starting with the red/pink batter, scoop approx 1 heaped tsp of the batter into the bottom of the cupcake cases, adding more if you have some leftover and distributing evenly.
- Repeat with the yellow, dolloping and smoothing it on top of the red layer. Then the green and finally the blue.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, on the middle shelf of the oven, until risen and spongey. Leave to cool whilst you prepare the frosting.
- To make the marshmallow frosting
- In a small saucepan, mix the sugar, cream of tartar and water together on a medium heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg white and vanilla extract until it forms soft peaks.
- Slowly pour in the sugar water and continue whisking until it forms stiff peaks.
- To decorate
- Using a knife or spatula, smooth a dollop of the marshallow frosting onto the cupcakes to create a cloud-like frosting.
- Sprinkle on some of the candy stars.
- Cut a piece of the rainbow belt (about 3 inches long) and arrange on top of the frosting in a rainbow shape.
* Be careful not to over-mix the batter at this point or it will create too much air and the cupcakes will flop!