I was recently lucky enough to win a hamper of Freedom Mallows (vegetarian marshmallows) via an Instagram contest and whilst impatiently waiting for them to arrive in the post, I thought of all the things I could make with the marshmallows… Smores, hot chocolate, rocky road and my favourite: rice krispie treats! When the marshmallows arrived, I quickly got set to making this recipe for Peanut Butter & Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats before I ended up eating them all out of the bag. Then proceeded to eat (nearly) all of the rice krispie treats.
These rice krispie squares are sweet, nutty, crunchy yet gooey and ridiculously moreish. If you’re not avoiding gluten, you can just use regular Rice Krispie cereal but to make these gluten-free, I used Nature’s Path Crispy Rice cereal. Crunchy or smooth peanut butter is of course down to preference but I really recommend the crunchy kind in this recipe to give another texture and extra crunch.
- 4 tbsp dairy-free margarine, such as Vitalite or Earth Balance
- 225 g / 3 cups vegan mini marshmallows, I used Freedom Mallows
- 165 g / 2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 g / 5 cups gluten-free rice crisp cereal, I used Nature's Path
- Melt the spread in a large saucepan over a low-medium heat. Stir in the marshmallows until melted.
- Mix in the peanut butter until combined and a smooth, thick mixture is formed.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract and Rice Krispies.
- Add the mixture to a 9x9 inch baking tin and flatten firmly.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting into 16 squares or 25 mini bites.
I put my mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes, to help it firm up quickly.
Nutrition InformationYield 16
Amount Per Serving Calories 151Saturated Fat 1gCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gProtein 3g