Crunchy yet chewy granola bars with a salty peanut flavour and a sweet chocolate topping. I cannot get enough of these! In this recipe I’ve used coconut sugar and maple syrup to give a rich, sweet flavour and also because these sweetners are natural, high in minerals and lower GI than regular sugar. These bars are also full of wholegrain goodness from the oats, wholegrain flour and brown rice cereal.
- 4 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- A pinch of salt
- 240 g / 3 cups jumbo oats
- 100 g / 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 6 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 g / 1 cup rice krispies or brown rice crisped cereal
- 40 g / 1/4 cup flour
- A handful of roasted peanuts
- optional Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170C / 340F and line an 8 x 8 inch baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the vegan butter or coconut oil in a large saucepan on medium heat with a pinch of salt. Stir in the oats, making sure they're well coated.
- Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup and peanut butter. Stir until melted and well combined.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients (except the chocolate.)
- Transfer the mixture into the baking tray and press down firmly. It will be quite sticky!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tray for a few minutes before cutting into 14 bars.
- (Optional) Drizzle some melted chocolate onto the bars and leave to set in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Store in an air tight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187 Saturated Fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g