DK Books recently sent me a copy of one of their new books, ‘Plant-Based Cookbook‘ by Trish Sebben-Krupka to review and have also generously offered to give THREE copies away to my readers! Find out about the giveaway at the end of this post.
With most cookbooks, I’m happy to just find a few recipes I’d like to actually make and the rest are usually “that looks nice but I probably won’t make it” – you know how it is. But I can honestly say that this cookbook is filled with dozens of recipes that I am planning to try ASAP. They’re practical yet delicious recipes that offer both comfort and nutrition, perfect for everyday meals and treats. As well as recipes, the book gives a great overview on the plant-based diet and offers a comprehensive guide to those transitioning towards a plant-based diet.
The recipes that most caught my eye were the One-Pan Pasta Primavera (pg 199 – see recipe below!), the Meaty Mushroom Stew (pg 101), Strawberry Muffins (pg 56) and the Báhn Mi Portobello Burgers (pg 66) which I am hoping to try very soon!
The first recipe I tried was the super-easy-to-prepare ‘One-Pan Pasta Primavera’ and let me just reassure you that the photo in the book is much prettier than my attempt. I halved the recipe and forgot to add the spinach but it turned out so so delicious. I loved how quick and easy it was to make – perfect for when you really can’t be bothered to cook. DK Book’s have allowed me to share this recipe with you, see below!
- 4 tbso extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 350g (12oz) thin spaghetti
- 1.1 litres (1¾ pints) vegetable stock or water
- 1 (400g; 14oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 140g (5oz) fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 1 carrot. peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 140g (5oz) baby spinach
- 70g (2½ oz) fresh or frozen baby peas
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in an extra-large frying pan with a lid over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, spaghetti, vegetable stock, tomatoes with their juice, broccoli, carrot and salt. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Uncover, stir and continue cooking, stirring constantly and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a brisk simmer, for about 8 minutes or until the stock is absorbed and the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the baby spinach, peas and black pepper, toss for 1 minute and serve immediately.
The Giveaway (UK)
DK Books are offering THREE lucky winners a copy of ‘Plant-Based Cookbook‘ by chef Trish Sebben-Krupka.
Enter via the widget below. If no widget appears, please use this link (but don’t share this link elsewhere.) T&Cs at the bottom of the widget.