I’ve found a new favourite snack: dry honey nut granola straight out of the oven. Just on it’s own and no cutlery, dishes or ladylike table manners involved. It’s addictive! And of course, it’s delicious served with milk or even more so as a dessert topping too (great for crumbles and parfaits!)
There is something about this homemade version, that the store bought version can’t even be compared to. The smell alone is enough to comfort you on the most horrible of mornings… The crunchy, wholesome oats and almonds, coated in the fragrant vanilla, cinnamon and butter. Mmm!
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 200 g / 1/2 cup + 1tbsp light honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 300 g / 3 + 1/3 cups rolled oats, I used gluten-free oats
- 100 g / 1 + 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 170c and line 1-2 large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and honey together until it begins to bubble.
- Stir in the cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt and then pour in the oats and almonds. Stir the mixture well to make sure it's completely coated.
- Transfer to the baking tray(s) and spread the mixture out into a thin layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, checking every 5-8 minutes and giving the mixture a stir to make sure it doesn't brown too quickly.
- When the oats look crunchy and golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Looks like I’m not the only one obsessed with granola at the moment!