- 1/2 cup plain dairy-free yoghurt of your choice (see my recipe on how to make your own cashew yoghurt here
- 3 tbsp olive oil, try using garlic-infused olive oil for an alternative flavour, perfect for pizzas and other Italian dishes!
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- A generous pinch of salt
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
- 2 tsp agar powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- A bowl of ice cold water with a pinch of salt stirred in
- Mix the yoghurt, olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and water together in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in the arrowroot, agar and xanthum gum. Bring to a medium heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until the mixture is very thick and gooey. Like stringy cheese!
- Remove from the heat and have the bowl of ice water ready. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop a ball of the mixture and drop it into the ice water. It should immediately form into a firm ball of cheese.
- You can use the cheese immediately or keep in a tightly-sealed jar in the fridge, topped up with the ice cold water and salt. Keep for up to 4 days.