As part of my review of the new George Forman grill, I’ve created a few recipes, including this Italian-inspired dessert.
Pear and almond make a really sophisticated flavour pairing and in this recipe I’ve used Amaretto and toasted almond flakes to give a stronger, more intense flavour along with the pear.
And of course, warm desserts always welcome a dollop of cold ice cream to go on top.
I’ve used my classic vanilla ice cream recipe from my book ‘Coconut Milk Ice Cream‘ but feel free to use your favourite ice cream, vegan or otherwise.
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup Amaretto, I used Disarrano
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 4 pears, halved
- Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Toasted almond flakes
- Preheat the grill.
- Mix the coconut sugar, amaretto and oil together in a small dish.
- Cut the pears in half, lengthways and dip them (front and back) in the dish, coating the whole pear.
- Gently place the pears, face down, on the grill and cook for 10-15 minutes until the pears are soft, charred and have released a lot of juice. Keep this juice/sauce for serving!
- To serve, place the pears on a plate with a dollop of ice cream on top, sprinkled with toasted almond flakes and drizzled with the leftover sauce from the cooked pears, along with any of the mixture left in the dipping dish.