Those of you who saw my Frosted Walnut Cake recipe last week, will know that I’m attempting to bake along (in vegan style) with The Great British Bake Off! Each week, I will be recreating, or at least trying my best to recreate, one of the recipes featured on each episode. So the last episode was all about biscuits. Biscotti, Arlettes and edible biscuit boxes. I loved some of the edible box creations and was a little tempted to make my own but in the end settled on biscotti because I love biscotti!
These biscotti biscuits are made with ground almonds instead of flour, making them gluten-free and paleo-friendly as well as high in fibre and protein. It also gives them a delicious subtle almond flavour which you can emphasize with a small drop of almond extract, if you like that almond flavour. I’ve baked biscuits with ground almonds plenty of times before but to get that biscotti “crunch” these biscuits needed to be baked twice which I was worried might simply burn the biscuits. However, despite their dark golden brown appearance out of the oven, they were not at all burnt and became perfectly crunchy after cooling. Even suitable for dunking in a cup of coffee!
- 150 g / 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- optional 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Approx 60g dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 170c. and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients together using a food processor or mixer. Add the maple syrup so the mixture begins to clump together. Add a little almond milk if it's too dry. Stir in the almond extract, if using.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Shape the dough into the shape of a submarine roll (approx 2.5 inches wide and 6.5 inches long) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least an hour and then, using a sharp knife, slice into 14 biscotti slices. I cut at a diagonal angle, making each biscotti about 1/2 inch width.
- Now spread the slices onto the baking sheet again and bake for another 5-8 minutes. Turn them over and bake on the other side for another 5-8 minutes.
- Allow them to cool completely from the oven and become nice and crispy! Keep in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172 Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 4g Protein: 6g