Gluten-free baking can be tricky. Gluten-free AND vegan baking is a serious challenge though. You may master the perfect gluten-free muffin and you may master the perfect vegan muffin but when you try to combine the two, they often just don’t get along. Thankfully, after a long battle in the kitchen, I came up with these mufins which I think would please both vegans and celiacs alike!
I was so happy when I cut open one of these muffins to reveal a super fluffy and light inside! I used Doves Farm gluten-free self raising flour in this recipe but please note that other blends may cause slightly different results. If using plain flour, remember to add raising agents.
Just look how fluffy they are inside…
- 225 g / 1 1/4 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 100 g / 1/2 cup unrefined sugar
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup almond milk
- 4 tbsp apple puree or dairy-free yoghurt
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and line a muffin tin with 8 liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the wet ingredients, leaving the vinegar until last.
- Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Divide the mixture equally between the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool before eating. Enjoy!
Tip: When using frozen blueberries, I find they can make the mixture freeze up so I don't add them until the mixture is already in the muffin cases. Then I place them into the muffin mixture individually.