Update: I’ve now got a vegan version of this recipe here.
Lavender is a scent I’ve loved since I can remember but has now become a taste I very much enjoy too, especially when paired with chocolate.
It’s such a calming flavour and although quite subtle, it’s noticeable, even in a recipe with rich and bitter dark chocolate. The two opposites create a delicate harmony, making them an ideal pairing.
I first tried tasting lavender when creating my Lavender & Blueberry Porridge and whilst I could see why it may not be to everyone’s taste, I loved the purfume-y earthiness, it has such a decadent feel to it.
- 100g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate chips
- 115g (1/2 cup) butter
- 150g (⅔ cup) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 85g (¾ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 240ml (1 cup) whole milk
- ½ teaspoon dried lavender
- 360g (3 cups) confectioners' sugar
- Violet gel-paste food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a heat-proof bowl, stir the butter and chocolate over a pan of simmering water until melted.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the sugar and eggs. Mix until smooth and glossy.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and whisk again until a thick batter is formed.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases about ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops of the cupcakes are spongey but firm.
- Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes before icing.
- To make the icing, pour the milk into a pan with the dried lavender and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let it infuse and cool for 10 minutes.
- Strain the milk and discard the leftover lavender. Pour into a large bowl and whisk the icing sugar in. Add the food coloring until desired colour is achieved.
- Ice the cupcakes and add some extra dried lavender on top for decoration, if you wish.
- Leave in the fridge for 15 minutes to let the icing firm up. Enjoy!
These cupcakes are delicious, rich and also flourless which means they are suitable for celiacs! (assuming you use gluten-free chocolate and cocoa.) Are you planning on baking to celebrate cupcake week?