Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between a muffin and a cupcake, this is one of those times. If you take something that resembles more of a muffin and top it with frosting, does that automatically make it a cupcake? And to make matters more complicated, these could even fall into the category of brownies because they are so squidgy and chocolatey.
The cake base on it’s own could definitely get away with being a muffin and could even make a somewhat substantial breakfast, thanks to the almonds and bananas. At the same time, they’re so rich, chocolatey and moist, reminiscent of a brownie. But when I topped them with the coconut whipped cream and salted caramel sauce, they instantly became cupcakes and I think I like the sound of that best!
Flourless Chocolate Banana Cupcakes with Coconut Whipped Cream & Salted Caramel Sauce
- 150 g / 1 ½ cups ground almonds
- 60 g / ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 small very ripe bananas mashed (about ½ cup)
- 60 ml / ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 80 ml / ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110 g / 4 oz vegan-friendly dark chocolate melted
- <a href="http://wallflowerkitchen.com/coconut-whipped-cream/">Coconut whipped cream</a>
- <a href="http://wallflowerkitchen.com/healthy-salted-caramel-sauce/">Salted caramel sauce</a>
Preheat the oven to 170°C / 340°F and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
In a large bowl mix the ground almonds, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together until well combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk the mashed banana, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and melted chocolate together until thick and runny.
Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix together well until it forms a smooth batter.
Spoon the batter into the liners, filling about 2/3 of the way.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops of the muffins are firm and the insides are moist and squidgy.
Leave them to cool completely, in the tin.
To decorate, pipe a swirl of the coconut whipped cream onto each cupcake and drizzle the caramel sauce on top.