A delicious, refreshing drink to enjoy on a sunny day (or even a grey muggy day, like today) I’ve been adding elderflower to everything lately, I even made some shortbread biscuits with the cordial! See my recipe for Elderflower, Lemon & White Chocolate Chip Shortbread over at Border Biscuit’s website. I hear it’s also good added to gin & tonic, might have to experiment with that this evening…
- Elderflower heads (roughly 25 flower heads, pesticide-free)
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 720ml maple syrup OR 1kg granulated sugar
- (optional) 1 tsp citric acid
- Remove any insects from the flower heads and give them a good shake.
- Put them into a large pot with the lemon zest.
- Boil 1.5 litres of water and pour over the elderflower heads, cover and leave overnight.
- Strain the liquid with a muslin or cheese cloth and add the lemon juice (+ optional citric acid.)
- Heat the clear liquid on the hob and add the maple syrup / sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Pour into well-sealed sterilised bottles.
- Serving suggestion: dilute with sparkling water and ice.